Sunday, February 15, 2009

Evolution and Resurrection

A few days ago, Megara recommended a series of exercise videos she thought I might enjoy. This got me thinking, because it's Sunday today, about Sunday sorts of things like evolution and resurrection.

Well, not The Resurrection, per se. More like resurrected things.

Like these weights I asked a loved one to give me for Christmas a few years ago. I'd like to resurrect them.


You never want to give your spouse this kind of gift for Christmas unless they specifically ask for it.
Most people only make this mistake once.

I haven't found my weights yet, but I did dig up my Jane Fonda Workout tape.
"Are you ready to do The Workout?"
Yes, Jane. Hit it.

We were friends.
If you wanted to look like her you wore the whole outfit: leg warmers, footless colored tights, striped leotard with babydoll sleeves. I did. Wear the outfit, I mean. Except, my hair color was the only part of me that ever really looked like her.

I still have the outfit if you ever want to borrow it.

My next get-in-shape era included a set of 7 Winsor Pilates tapes that began with The Basics.


If you preferred, you could start with The 20-Minute Workout and move on to The Bun and Thigh Workout or
The Ab Sculpting Workout,




or The Upper Body Sculpting Workout.



It was a beautiful thing, pilates on tape.
You never had to leave home and you could exercise in your Skivvies, but I never did.

Wear Skivvies, I mean.

I'm not that kind of girl. I wore my Jane Fonda suit.

I bought all of these pilates videos, oh, maybe ten (or seventeen ) years ago and have yet to try the Accelerated Body Sculpting one:


Well, I suppose, to be absolutely honest with you, I should disclose that I don't remember doing any of the videos except The Basics. And maybe the 20-Minute Workout.

It would be fair to say that Advanced Body Slimming would be over my head at this point:


A person can get super deals on these if she's really looking.

I'm always so motivated to exercise when I'm out looking.

Like when I got this video at Costco:

This is its PG-rated video cover. The one I actually bought was more like R-rated so I hid it from my husband because I didn't want him making any comparisons. Not that he would. But still.
I have always tried to err on the side of caution.

I don't remember ever doing Buns and Abs of Steel either, but I did run across this Simply Pilates multipack a year or two later. It came with 26 flash cards, a dvd and a booklet.

I was taken in by the flashcards. Flashcards call my name.
Because they know I'm a teacher.

Maybe I'll open them tomorrow and see what they look like.

My most recent purchase was this 3 in 1 Exercise Ball: The Complete Collection.

I actually bought it right after Christmas and my husband found it in my car about 10 days ago.

I had been wondering for some time what was in that pile in the back seat.

Apparently he didn't want it in there when we picked up our friends to take them to dinner. Apparently.

In fairness to myself in my latest efforts to get fit, I did lose 1.5 pounds in my first week, and I'll be weighing in at school again on Tuesday to see how my second week went.

And walking on this every day.
Which brings us to the current evolution of my ever-endangered, precariously-perched-on-the-edge-of-extinction workout routine.

One of my colleagues at school is using the following exercise plan. I think he found it on the internet. If I can't find my weights, I think this will be a good alternative:

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb. potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb. potato bags. Then try 50-lb. potato bags and eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb. potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level.) After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.



This concludes my Sabbath thoughts on evolution and resurrection. Thanks for reading.

13 comments:

Sherry Carpet said...

i am not sure which is more intersting--the excellent tips on this post, or learning that neesh doesn't wear underwear (or have i been misled about the definition of skivvies?). another question: what does one do with all the potatoes? after lifting, i mean.

annie said...

sc: EATS THEM!

ps can i have your jane fonda outfit? seriously.

Nicea said...

Good morning, Sherry Carpet: Funny you should ask. I had to look up Skivvies before I put it in the post because I didn't know how to spell it. Turns out it's a trademarked name for men's underwear! Used now like we use Levi's and Kleenex as generic terms for jeans and tissues, I guess? Who knew?

I also learned that a skivvy (in Britain) is a female domestic worker. I know! We could all be skivvies exercising in our Skivvies. And 1, and 2...

No underwear. Hmmm. Are you still remembering that one swim in Grandpa's pool?

Nicea said...

Annie - Hiya, chickadee! The Jane Fonda outfit is available for checkout upon request. It resides in the the 70's museum upstairs.

Nicea said...

I just reread my post and now I TOTALLY get how you thought I didn't wear underwear!!! Oops. That's not what I meant. Again, no underwear? Ewww. I'll go back and fix that now.

Jana Brookes said...

You are so funny Nicea. I think there has been many video's and other types of exercise equipment that I have tried buying. Once I even bought James these things called the perfect push-up. They rotate and spin and you do your push ups, supposedly giving you the best work out with your every push up. Funny, and kind of dumb. I'm sure they didn't do anything but waste our $20. Oh well, live and learn, right. Bags of potatoes. Now that is something I could afford!! Or might have around the house already, just have to get to them before sunday after church, or they will be in our bellies!

Nicea said...

Jana - Go ahead and buy your bags of potatoes. Remember, you only need one potato in each bag for this workout, and that's not until you've worked up to that level. So, no worries about eating the exercise equipment.

WV: flogs - what we will give at the reunion if we don't do our exercises and eat more vegetables before we get there. What?! Have they run out of nonsense words?

Nicea said...

That's 'what we will GET at the reunion...' not 'what we will give...' We will get flogs.

annie said...

mom you crack me up. i work out like you do, good intentions, very little sweat.

also, maybe we should do a "biggest loser" competition with the fam? anyone? anyone?

Nicea said...

Annie - Great idea. Here's what we're doing at school. Our plan is mostly to encourage more healthy lifestyles. If weight loss comes as a bi-product, so much the better.

Everyone is putting $25 into a pot.

1. You set your own realistic weight loss goal.

2. Eat healthy foods.

3. Exercise.

Points are awarded as follows:

1. Exercise 30 min. for 1 point; 60 min for 2. Max points 2/day.

2. Eat 5 servings (1/2 cup) fruits/vegetables - 1 point

3. Drink 64 oz. water - 1 point

4. Take a multivitamin appropriate for your age and gender - 1 point

5. No caffeine drinks - 1 point

6. Sleep 7 hours or more per night - 1 point

7. No sweets (as in candy, cookies, cake, sweet breads, milkshakes--you know the list)- 1 point

8. Eat a healthy breakfast. 1 point


On D-Day everyone weighs in to see if they met their weight goal. If they do, they get $20 of their $25 back. The remaining $5 becomes prize money awarded as follows:

Most points - men
Most points - women
Most weight loss - men
Most weight loss - women

What do you all think? I think it would be fun to do it all together. More fun than doing it alone.

WV: horace - What we'll name the Biggest Loser at the reunion.

Sherry Carpet said...

oh, sorry -- i didn't get past the "no caffeine drinks." WHA?!?!

wv: "lestessi" - lestessi who can pull that off.

annie said...

i will have you know that i have been off caffeine drinks for 11 days. maybe 12. since feb 7! woot woot!

that was a little cheer for me. mom, we did it a little different, but i like the way you do it better. heaven knows i need more healthy habits. i think we also had a point for getting at least 7 hours of sleep/night and another for not drinking any carbonated beverages. we can add those...or not.

Nicea said...

I forgot one more point-earner and it's the most motivating for me:

9. Weigh in once/week in front of a witness for 7 bonus points.

There are 9 points possible per day X 7 days per week = 63 points. Plus 7 bonus points for weighing in =

70 Total points possible per week