Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend - Part 1

Mt. Timpanogos was there.  As always.  Firm.  Like the song says.

And so were some very special military people when we said goodbye to Papa on Friday.  He was 85.  We're told that only the best are selected to pay tribute to fellow soldiers at their final resting place.

They're dignified.  And solemn.  And the way they handle the flag!  The ritual makes me feel secure.

I wanted to salute them.  Like these men saluted Papa.  He had served in the Navy as a young man.

And this older soldier!  Such dignity!  I'm SURE he's part of the Greatest Generation.  But I'm afraid he might never know how much esteem we hold for him.  I really don't think there's a human way to communicate that to him.  Can we EVER adequately thank him (and his comrades) for everything?
He kinda looks like my dad.

They presented the folded-up flag to Fred.

These three granddaughters were present.  Blake came.

And little great granddaughter Perry, too.

She liked the chairs.






8 comments:

Jana Brookes said...

Sorry to hear of Papa's passing away. That would explain why Annie was is town. I'm glad all your girls got to be there. The pictures are very nice. I know he was a wonderful man from the few times I met him.

Sherry Carpet said...

it's been quite a year, hasn't it? your girls all look soooo beautiful. Papa left a very, very respectable legacy of most excellent descendants, and i am grateful that.

Nicea said...

Thanks, Jana and Sherry. It was good to see the girls. As they say, funerals and baptisms are two of the most moving, gratifying meetings in the church.

Oh, Jana. As I write this I just realized a giant brain lapse. There was a particularly important baptism this morning, wasn't there. Oh, my. I hope all went well.

Shawn said...

This made me weepy. Isn't it wonderful how they do that for the veterans? I felt the same way when they did it for Dad in Heyburn. And it's sad that your girls lost both their grandpas in less than 8 months.

Give my love and sympathies to Fred. I've been thinking about you guys. I'll call you as soon as my company leaves--we've been gone with them to Yosemite and they'll be here until Monday. (Greg's sister, Lisa, and family.)

Natalie said...

So sorry to hear about Fred's dad (I am assuming that is who Papa Is), ....if he was anything like Fred he certainly must have been an incredible man.

Nicea said...

Thanks, Natalie. He was a really, really nice man. We'll miss his corny jokes and his engineer's mindset of precision required for a job well done.

annie said...

thanks for this, mom.

abbyjane said...

awww, papa.