Sunday, June 26, 2011

Why I Love Teaching - #4

Because, like Gogstoppers and the question why, it is the job that never ends.  It just goes on and on, my friends. 

Lies are not lies if you don't know you're telling them, right? 

School was NOT out for the summer as I reported to you on June 4.  Since then, I've taken a 3-day course called Teach Like a Champion, spent two weeks finishing up a literacy course through BYU and attended 5 days' worth of training for the new Common Core that is coming soon to a state near you.  Nor did I know that the training would continue into the coming school year (six more sessions!!) or that I would be DOING the training the year after that!

This job has tentacles. 

Next week:  Monday I train on a ropes course somewhere up in the hills so I can teach my Jr. Latinos confidence.  Or is it leadership?  I forget.  After that, I have until Thursday at high noon to submit an entire unit of study to the state Common Core folks to publish on the Utah State Office of Education website for use by other teachers such as myself, complete with handouts, reading materials and tests I will use to assess if anybody learned anything or not.

THEN and only then, or so I'm told, SCHOOL WILL BE OUT FOR THE SUMMER! 

I'm neither bragging nor complaining, just stating the facts as I know 'em, Ma'am.  Just stating the facts as I know 'em. 

4 comments:

Meg said...

Ugh! Don't they understand you have a wedding to prepare, guests to hang out with, gardens to work in, shopping to do, etc.??
Sound like they like you though ;)

Shawn said...

Well I would be complaining, that's for sure. I'm glad you like it, for the most part.

Jamie said...

I would hire a substitute to finish that stuff for you. Just sayin'... you need to start playin'!!!!

annie said...

oy veh. my school really IS out for the summer. i agree with megara - don't they know you have stuff to DO? seriously. rude.