Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Holy Wars

The last BYU football game I attended was, oh...maybe four and a half, five years ago. Abby was a Cougarette then. I had binoculars. I think there were some guys down on the field throwing around a football. Just outside my line of sight. Between Cougarette dances. I think. But at this time of year when the BYU-Utah rivalry comes to a head, it becomes necessary for no good reason in particular, to declare one's team loyalty. I pick blue. Because I like blue. I like red, too, but blue is a forgiving color. Anyone can wear it. If you can't decide, or if you're a fence sitter, or in a mixed marriage or in a politically divided family, then this is for you: Go BYUtes! Wear purple. Look like a bruise.

10 comments:

annie said...

first, i will root for the underdog. then, i will go for whichever team has the hottest players. and somewhere in the last quarter of the 4th quarter, i'll be all about the team that's winning.

Nicea said...

That's what I like about you, Annie. Your loyalty.

Shawn said...

Blue makes my eyes stand out so I'm sticking with that. Although my friend tells me I look fabulous in red.

Hmm...

better stick with blue in case my friend is lying.

Jamie said...

Well you know I'm a BYU grad marrying a UofU grad, so it doesn't get much more purple than that. However, I'm representing blue so strongly that we're really more of a dark, cool purple with a tiny tinge of red.

Kevin has admitted to me before that he will root for both teams. He wants BYU to win most of the time, just not when they're playing Utah. It's a good thing he says that too, because if he was die-hard red, my dad would not have given him permission to marry me.

Nicea said...

Oh, my. You guys might have purple kids.

Marc said...

You're nothing if not bold Nicea.

Meg said...

We still on for dinner on sunday? And if so, can we bring something yummy?

Nicea said...

Yes, we ARE still on and how would you like to bring a... um.... a...gosh! I can't think of a thing that you should bring. We're just excited to see you. We had Fred's dad over last Sunday and we had to change the time to 5:30 because of home teachers, and because of that, I can't remember whether I told you 5 or 5:30. Either one works for us. Let me know what works best for you.

Nicea said...

Marc - Talk to me about bold. Or about nothing. I think I'm more nothing than bold.

Meg said...

We get out of church at 4, so 5 is fine for us. We are excited to see you!!