Friday, May 7, 2010

The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs and Other Meaty Matters

This afternoon I finished an absolutely magnificent year-long educational experience that I didn't want to end. It was my school district's associates partnership with BYU (cohort number something-or-other) for inservice teachers and administrators. I met some incredible colleagues from throughout the district and read some mind-expanding, thought-provoking literature that I know I wouldn't have picked up on my own had it not been assigned to me. (My reading tends more toward recreational titles like Alexander McCall Smith's The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs.)

But I digress. Another post for another time.

Three of the aforementioned 2-day-long education sessions took place at The Canyons Resort in Park City. Which brings me to my reason for living writing this post:

Where should we hold the 2011 Stimpson Family Reunion next summer?

I have a suggestion: The Westgate Hotel at the Canyons Resort. (NOTE: This is intended only to light up the discussion board, not to dictate anything to anyone.)

One thing I liked about The Westgate was that summer rates drop dramatically to $149 per night for a really nice room that

1.   sleeps 8 [2 king beds and 2 queen pullouts],
2.   has 2 full kitchens and 2 family rooms,
3.  4 flat-screen TVs,
4.  2 two-person [or four-person-if-you're-into-that-sort-of-thing-but-you'd-better-not-be--not on my watch] jetted tubs,
5.  2 two-person shower/saunas, and
6.  a door that can be closed to divide the 8-person space into two separate, more private spaces (4 people in each).

On site also are indoor and outdoor swimming pools, a workout room, and then some other amenities that cost extra but I can't remember them right now--your typical resort stuff like a spa and hair salon--you know the stuff.

Photos here.

There are lots of things to do in the summer in Park City.

It gets us out of the heat, were we to hold the reunion around the 4th of July like we did for a few years in the past.

If Grandma maintains her current mobility, she could come to it and stay at our house for a few days before and/or after, as could anyone else traveling some distance. (We have sleeping beds for 10 adults plus as many floor spaces for children as needed.)

Bren and Teresa live in the area now. Bim and Krista have relatives in the area. Greg and Shawn have relatives in the area. Coy and Scott have relatives in the area. Kevin and Jamie have relatives in the area.  Coy's and Scott's dogs have relatives in the area. 

We are in the area.

Throwin' it out there.  Right atcha.

8 comments:

Meg said...

It looks beautiful and fun! Who knows where we will be next summer, but hopefully closer than we are now!

Natalie said...

I loved CITES too! I didn't realize you were doing that, although now that I think of it I do remember you saying something about it at the cheesecake lunch.

And.......I would also like to offer my populous free six bedroom home for free accommodation to any Stimpson traveling to or participating in a reunion that is a mere 40 minutes of beautiful drive away from my house. I buy good cereal, I have a cute dog and my linens are clean.

I'm just sayin'. There's always room at this inn.

Jana Brookes said...

I am up for anywhere, that is not my house, right now. I wish the reunion was closer. It seems like forever ago since last summers. I need a vacation bad, can you tell. Mostly, I just want a vacation to the hospital.

Who are Scott's and Coy's dogs relatives? Didn't quite get that one. I guess I'm slow.

Who is in charge of what for reunion stuff?

Nicea said...

Megara: Are you guys only there temporarily? I thought you might become lifers!

Natalie: Your inn offer exceeds expectations. And the amenities! What an offer!

Jana: Well, duh. YOU guys are Coy's and Scott's dogs' relatives!

Shawn said...

Glad you enjoyed your conference thing. You are so educationamated! I'm so proud of you!

I think that looks like a great site for a reunion.

annie said...

how did i miss all these posts?! geez mom, silent for months and then all this. i'm starting to think maybe the jr high kiddos tied you up or something.

ps i can second the reunion motion.

natalie, can i stay with you? :P

abbyjane said...

so what you're saying is...you're tired of roughing it..

Nicea said...

No, actually the accommodations we've had at all of our reunions have been great. I have no complaints. What brought this to my attention is that I've been staying there for these CITES meetings and enjoying my stay but never thought of it as a possibility for our reunion because, apparently, the rooms are quite costly. Someone just pointed out how inexpensive they are during the summer, so my ever-ready event planner mode kicked in and you know the rest of the story.