Thursday, February 24, 2011

Why I Love Teaching - #2 or Why I Prefer the Age I'm At*

On my way home from school last night, I turn on my phone and check the text messages: 

TEXT #1 (from a 9th grade girl student of mine):  "Please, please, please, Miss G., don't let Balentina (not her real name) into our class!!!

TEXT #2 (from same girl):  "She's drama!!" 

Earlier that day: 

GIRL (the same 9th grade girl student coming into my room):  Miss G., did you tell Balentina that she could be in our class?

ME: No, I don't think so. I don't think I even know a Balentina.

GIRL: Well, she said you accepted her into the class and she's been telling everybody all over the school that she's changing her schedule and coming in!!!!!!

ME: Hmmmm. That's news to me. But why does that bother you?

STUDENT: Because we...well...uh, we just...I don't know.

ME: You mean you don't get along?

STUDENT: Yeah. She HATES me because her boyfriend from first grade is with ME now. 

(Whah whah whah.)

*Ending preposition, though not grammatically correct, was intentionally placed at the end of this title.   

5 comments:

Shawn said...

Ha HA! I much prefer the age I'm at also and too. Very funny!

Jamie said...

Ooh, those first grade boyfriends are serious stuff. You pretty much have claim on them for the rest of your life. HA HA!

sherry carpet said...

i think i skipped that age. no, wait. i just skipped boyfriends. or they skipped me?

Jana Brookes said...

Too funny! Definitely a good reason to keep someone out of the class, wouldn't ya say?! I'm so glad I'm not in the dating game too! It's tough.

miss kitti said...

Late to the game as usual but loved this post. I'm so happy to be my age too.