Friday, March 20, 2009

An Open Note to Jaime Escalante

I deserve the "you didn't lose it, did you?" comment from you, Jaime. You must know me pretty well!

However, the answer is no, I did not lose your check. It's actually in my purse right here in Indiana. If you don't want to hear the details of the whole story (Shawn, here's where you can tune out because I know how much you love my detailed narratives), you can stop reading now.

So. I put the checks, as they arrived, in my office. Then I remembered that you, Jaime, wanted yours cashed immediately.

(Immediately is a relative term. I learned it from my kids.)

But the next day, in a good-faith move, I made a record of who had paid, then moved the goods into the kitchen and onto the counter where I'd remember to take it all to the bank. A week later it was still there, but with a plan.

It planned to go to the bank.

It told me.

When I was packing to come see The Professor at Catholic school, I transferred the loot to my car and planned to drop it all off at the bank on my way to the airport the next day. However, I didn't get away from school early enough to do that. I'd have missed my flight!

So the Biggest Loser collateral went with me to the shuttle parking lot.

"I shouldn't leave this in my car," something told me, speaking of the money.

I think it was my conscience speaking. So I put it in my purse (the money, not my conscience).

Now it's in South Bend.

It's enjoying the break.

12 comments:

Coy said...

I like your long naratives and I bet you're just teasing Shawn. Did Rhonda give you my BIGGEST LOSSER check yet? I gave it to her to give to you.

Jamie said...

Well at least my money is traveling, even if I'm not.

Keep it secret, keep it safe.

Nicea said...

No, Coy. Sorry. Rhonda doesn't deal with money. She wants me to ask you if you've ever heard of the U.S. Mail.

Don't hurt me. I'm just the messenger.

annie said...

LOL to ALL of you! especially jaime.

maybe one of the reasons i haven't been eating is second breakfast...and elevensies...

mom, i think we learned this "theory of relativity" from you. hmmm which came first, the chicken or the egg?

annie said...

that should be "haven't been losing weight"

Nicea said...

Jaime - at the tone it will be 9:25 p.m. Eastern time and your money is safe with me.

The stores are closed.

Nicea said...

Annie - Hmmmm. I'll give that some thought.

WV: miness n., expression similar in use to Your Highness, most commonly used when marking your husband, wife, or significant other as territory belonging to you, as in "Yes, Your Miness, I love you the most."

PJ said...

hi! remember your first comment on my blog? if you don't it said you had a big box of ... how about i suprise you and send it my way! and you never sent anything! so e-mail my dad or lauren to see if you still have it and then they will send you the adress!


from,

pj

Nicea said...

Hey, PJ! I just saw this comment from you so I commented on your blog with my response.

Shawn said...

I do like your long narratives, especially when they're funny, like this one.

Shawn said...

Annie, I like your new photo even tho it's not of your cute self.

annie said...

auntie - hee hee thanks. mom thinks its mean. i think its funny. i'll get another pic soon...ish.